Happy Saturday! Hi friends, I’m back. As you might know I was in Peru for a whole month helping my parents to adjust to some changes. My dad was hospitalized and now he is back home with a caregiver. There have been a lot of changes so I had to go to help my parents to adjust to all of this and make this transition as smooth as it possible can get. It hasn’t been easy. I came back home emotionally and physically exhausted. Hopefully with these new changes, I’ll have less stress on my back, we’ll see how it goes.
Now that I am back home, I’m trying to catch up with lots of things. One of them is baking! I haven’t posted anything on my blog for a month but now that I’m back I promise to post 2-3 times per week as always.
Also, I’m very thankful for my awesome baking community on Instagram, I really appreciate all your kind messages of love and support!
Now, let’s talk about about this recipe. I have a lemon tree on my backyard so I’m always trying to figure out what to bake with them. One morning, I was craving something sweet with my coffee so I grabbed a couple of lemons and made these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. They are soft but a little crunchy on the top (I love to sprinkle sugar).
Let’s start with the recipe!!
Yield 10-12 regular size muffins
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons lemon zest
To sprinkle: Bob’s Red Mill Sparkling Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F . Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and beat on high until creamed, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until just about combined. Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and continue to beat on low until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into each cup or liner, filling each all the way to the top. Sprinkle some Sparkling Sugar. Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 400 then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for an additional 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool and serve.